End screens are essential to the success of your YouTube channel, and you must ensure that all your videos have end screens.
What is an End Screen?
At the end of some YouTube videos, you must have observed video suggestions from the same channel for further viewing or website links to click on if you are seeking more information. These are nothing but the end screens.
An end screen is a call to action at the end of a video for the viewer to continue watching more videos from your channel.
Why Add End Screens to YouTube Videos?
The moment a viewer finishes watching a video from your channel, the hunt for the next best video begins, or the viewer might even choose to exit YouTube altogether.
You’ve managed to grab the viewer’s attention to one of your videos with great content, YouTube tools, and utilizing every trade-trick available in the book. Why would you lose the viewer soon after the video ends?
Wouldn’t you want the viewer to hang around a bit more, explore your channel, view one or two more videos at least?
An end screen at the end of a video provides you one last opportunity to continue being the viewer’s choice of YouTube channel by showcasing other equally exciting videos from your treasure chest! Why would you lose out on this opportunity by not providing end screens to all your videos?
Carefully Choose What to Promote on the End Screen
You have the choice of selecting a combination of these four types of call to action or ‘elements’ to promote in the end screen:
(1) Subscribe button: One can click on this button to subscribe to your channel. Subscribe button is a great idea, especially if you haven’t already asked your viewers to subscribe to your channel with the help of cards during the video.
(2) Video or Playlist: You can recommend videos or a playlist from your channel at the end of a video for the viewer to click on and continue watching. Keep in mind that the videos you recommend must be related to the video that the viewer just finished watching.
(3) Channel: You can even recommend a link to another YouTube channel that you think would prove helpful for the viewer! If you want the end screen to encourage a viewer to watch a video from your channel, you should not provide a link to another channel.
(4) External website: You can recommend a website that the viewer can visit for more information by providing the URL! However, the recommended website must be as per YouTube’s policies, including its Community Guidelines and Terms of Service.
Providing external links in the end screen is helpful if you want the viewer to explore more details of the product you are endorsing in your video, like this 2022 GR Supra Overview video by Toyota USA.
In the end screen of this video, a link to an external website is provided, which takes the viewer to a page on Toyota’s website with more details of GR Supra.
How to Add an End Screen in a YouTube video?
Adding end screen to an already uploaded video:
- Sign in to YouTube Studio.
- Click on the videos icon on the left of the menu.
- A list of all videos that you uploaded appears. Select the video in which you want to add the end screen.
- Another page will open. On the right side, you will find the End screen box; click on it.
- End screen page opens. You will see readymade template from YouTube for the end screen. These templates will have a combination of elements. Chose a template, and that’s just about it! You can even get free end screen templates from websites like Pixabay.
- Provide the necessary details for the elements – if it’s a video that you want the viewer to click on, then share the video or if it’s another channel or an external website, then share those details.
- Click Save.
Adding end screen while uploading a video:
Once the video is uploaded and the Standard Definition version of your video is processed, you will get the option of ‘Add an end screen.’ You will have the option of either choosing a readymade template or design. Make sure to speak of the video that you are recommending in your end screen, in the video of which you are designing the end screen.
What kind of videos can you add to the end screen template?
YouTube provides you with three options.
- Most recent upload: If you select this option, YouTube will automatically feature the most recently uploaded video.
- Best for viewer: YouTube’s algorithm will decide which video from your library will be displayed for the viewer
- Choose specific video: This is the best option. You can handpick the video that best relates to the topic of the video for which you are making the end screen.
Conditions to be Kept in Mind
- Your video must be at least 25 seconds long to have an End Screen.
- End screens can be added to the last 5–20 seconds of a video.
- You can place end screens only in the last 20 seconds of a video.
- Other interactive elements, like card teasers and video watermarks, are suppressed during the end screen.
- End screens aren’t available for videos set as made for kids.
- For providing link to an external website you must be in the YouTube Partner Program
- You can add up to four videos in the end screen.
Measure the Performance of End Screen in a Specific Video
- Sign in to YouTube Studio
- Select Analytics from the menu on the left
- Select the Engagement tab
- At the bottom of the page on the right you will see “End screen element click rate”. This will tell you what percentage of the video’s viewers stayed till the end and clicked on one of the elements.
Best Practices for Creating End Screens According to Google:
- Feature elements that are relevant to the video.
- Encourage viewers to click using calls to action for different end screen elements.
- If you use a custom image, we recommend using an image that’s at least 300 x 300 pixel width.
- Make sure you leave enough space and time at the end of the video for an end screen. Make sure you consider the video’s last 20 seconds when editing it.
- Consider timing different end screen elements to show at different times.
In conclusion, end screens are a must to extend viewers’ watch time on your channel by directing them to your next best video at the end of every video they watch.
Looking for experts to help grow your YouTube channel? Contact Touchstorm® today!